About 30% of teenage orphan girls become pregnant while still in the orphanage, and are usually persuaded to have an abortion. About 50% will get pregnant within the next 1-3 years and more than half become single mothers with no means of support, as they haven't received education or job experience.
These young women desire to be loved and cared for, putting them at risk with young men who generously give their affection but only to the point of getting what they want. Then about 70% of them disappear forever. Even if the father stays (most likely he is also an orphan), this young family usually has no place to live and a very scarce income which is hardly enough to buy food and diapers. Soon they face the hard reality of not being able to take care of their child and many give up their children, thus continuing the circle of orphanhood.
The goal of this project is to keep children of low income households with their families through counselling, financial aid, emergency health care, and teaching about life skills and child development.
The Destiny Center is committed to providing young parents:
- Parental training seminars
- Personal mentorship by volunteers who are raising children themselves
- Educational & development classes for children
- Housing assistance
- Legal assistance
- Basic necessities for children (food, school supplies, health care, clothing)
- Summer & Winter Camps - an opportunity for growth and development in a focused environment
- A donation of $50 gives one mother and her child access to our program and mentorship
- A donation of $250 gives one mother and her child a camp experience in the Carpathian Mountains. Learn more about Destiny Center Camps here.